Front cover illustration plans

 

The following are sketches on paper I produced before beginning the production of the final version of my front cover. Unlike my digital flat plans which helped me decipher the layout, positioning and overall look of my contents page, including which fonts I would use as well as where I would place my cover lines, these sketches helped me to plan what the main image would consist of, and to help me realise if it would work regarding the placement of text. I annotated them to plan out placements of colour, and also labelled the representations they cover. 



Since making this drawing for Issue 1, I have decided to change the visual concept as the one I planned initially (above) seemed wasn't conveying my intended message across quite clearly. However, my aims are the same in which I am representing social minorities and metaphorically addressing their oppression. The woman to the left is a woman of colour, and too the right, a member of the LGBT community. They are shown shrouded in water, which represents the oppression surrounding them. My visual concept has since changed, and I have chosen to represent these same social groups via flags and signs that clearly associate and represent them as a whole. I am yet to produce a sketch/plan for this new concept.  



For Issue two, this same visual concept is the one I will chose to carry through to my final version. Shown is a rich, upper class white man, representing politicians and wealthy businessmen that dominate media representations, encouraging the reader (a younger audience) to "eat" from the bowl that holds promises to the future. Behind, are the words "0% guarantee". The concept here is that as young people we are fed lies through the media and from dominant and controlling social groups, e.g. white male politicians. While this dominant social group is directly represented, a social group of young people is indirectly referenced. The main image works well in regards to the placement of other elements on the front cover, e.g cover lines, masthead etc, and will carry through to my final product. 

Comments

Popular Posts